Saturday, May 14, 2011

One more lap ...

My mom is always full of stories about the stuff I used to do when I was growing up. How once when she was coming to pick me up from daycare when I was around 5 years old, I declared aloud that I was superman and tried to fly away from the top of the slide. Needless to say, it was more of a 'jump' ... well, being that I was 5 I am willing to bet it was much more of a face first plummet to earth. Apparently, from what my cousin has told me, I repeated this when I was 23 and in Vegas on a spiked wall outside of the MGM; but that is a story for another time and another place. The race weekend reminded me more of the story she used to tell me about the sandbox.



When my mom would take me to the local parks I would always always rush over to the sandbox, filled with excitement about the possibilities that await me. I am sure in my little mind I had delusions of grandeur about how I would rule the sandbox and build the most incredible castle. But when I got to the edge of the box I would sit and observe silently. I wouldn't pick up a toy, I wouldn't say a thing, just sit and think. Eventually, after plotting how my world dominance would begin in the sandbox like Stewie back when Family Guy was actually funny, I would dive in and get to it.

Ever since round 2 I had been sitting on the edge of the sandbox. Thinking how I would begin my attack, where I would shave time, how I would not go home without a trophy, and how I will do all this without wrecking or causing someone else to wreck. Despite some bike issues through the week, essential brake parts not arriving till the day prior, school finals quickly approaching and being so busy I didn't even have time to shave, come Saturday morning I jumped in to the sandbox.


Typically Saturday practice starts out with me running my opening practice sessions about 12 seconds off my pace just waking up my brain and bike, only doing a few laps. This would be followed by a second session which would be a little faster, but still slow and "out of it". Third session I would generally be getting up to a moderate speed, followed by lunch which would put me to sleep. During lunch I change my tires, so forth session is me trying to get back in the groove from the mind break during lunch and feeling out/breaking in the new tires. This would lead to the first race being a lap or two of waking up before finally winding up to speed and playing catch-up with everyone else.

This Saturday I went out with a purpose. I gave my first session its respect (don't want to be one of those guys who wreck out for the weekend from a cold morning wreck on the first session) and made use of the fact that I don't always even make it out to the first practice in time. I ran about 9 seconds off pace, but it was hard to keep back the feeling in my gut to get going. Second session I let a little bit of that anxiousness go and dropped down 5 seconds from my first session, 4 seconds off my best. But it wasn't the speed that got me going and feeling good, it was the choice of lines with which I was making those times. I went into this session with the goal of 'hanging loose'. I wanted to run out in the areas which in a race I only end up in during an unexpected event. I wanted to have a better feel of the GPS map in my head, so I went into these areas with a fair amount of speed and proved to myself I can deal with adversity in the race. I also began backing in the bike into some of the tight turns and wheeling out of turns 3 and 8 (turn 3 and I have a bad history).

Going into practice session 3 I decided I wasn't going into lunch without running race pace times. I worked on smoothness and controlled aggressiveness. Even with a crowded session and never getting a lap without hitting traffic, I ran only a few tenths of a second from my best lap time. I was knee high in the sandbox. I was satisfied with my morning and for the final session backed it down a hair to feel the new tires and get ready to race.

Middleweight Race
Link to on-board Video: http://contour.com/stories/afm-r3-middleweight-may-7-2011--6

I was lined up forth on the grid and have been having trouble with my starts ever since I got this bike. Saturday I would try something new. In theory it would work, but I wasn't sure how far to take it, so I would try the new method in moderation to prevent a catastrophe. Green flag drops and I get a good start!! I go into turn one in forth and found myself behind exactly who I thought I would, Greg Olson #911 and Eric Hobbs #863. As we go up the hill the evidence of my underpowered 600 becomes apparent as the newer 600s and 750s pull away and George Myshlyatev comes around my side.

George, Greg, and Eric have pulled quite the gap on me In the beginning and I scrap together some of my best laps ever chasing them down. Little by little I cut down on my times, and the lead Eric (in third) has on me. I keep at it, knowing that his 750 simply pulls away in certain areas and I need to really keep up my entry and corner speeds. I look down and see that I have broken my lap record and every lap I go quicker until not only do I cut 2 seconds off my best and now am running in the 1:47s, but I also have Eric in my line of sight.

My girlfriend says that from up in the stands she thought there was no way I could pull back in to the fight for the podium. But going into turn 11 on the second to last lap I begin to test the waters. We come into the front straight and I see the white flag, I remind myself this is for the podium spot. I quickly realize I will need to do this right the first time, and not too early; too early will lead to Eric pulling away from me down the drag strip and holding position. I decide to sample my run into 3 and 4 and realize I will be able to pass on the brakes in 7, 9, or 11, so I hold back. I back off a little in the entry to the carousel so I can attempt to pass at just the right time into 7 where I would safely make the turn but also make Eric sit to my outside. I go into 7 and perform the line just how I want. But Eric changed his line from earlier and came in tight and back under me. We drag race to the essess,coming up on the first right hand curbing we are side by side. I look over and quickly realize that Eric is looking ahead to the left and doesn't realize I am here, so I back off and give it to him; it was a good thing because his line ended up putting him on the curb and would have put me in the dirt. I trail him through 8 planning to double under him in 9, but he stays super tight to the inside. Knowing he is doing this as a blocking line and likely will do it again in 11, I go into 9 with the plan to wind up and make the pass coming underneath on the exit of 11. We go into 11 as I planned - Eric far right and me far left- this is a perfect set up for a fair run to the line; Eric will exit wide and near the left wall while I will exit narrow and towards the right. However, coming out of 11 Eric suddenly careens back across to the right side. I quickly weigh my options, a) stay tough and get my body between his bike and mine and hold the throttle open or b) back off and take forth. I decide for the later, back off the throttle and sit up - and just in time. Eric cuts off my nose and we nearly collide front wheel to his back wheel. I put my hand on my hip and leisurely come across in forth. If I had one more lap, I could have had him.

I am glad I sat up, things could have ended bad for the both of us. I was happy with my personal accomplishments and didn't want to taint them with a season-ending wreck.

Finished 4th out 24, with a personal best of 1:47.8

Heavyweight Race
Link to on-board Video: http://contour.com/stories/afm-r3-heavyweight-may-7-2011--2

After the Middleweight race I saw my rear was getting a little trashed from the new speeds I was running. My suspension was not set for 1:47s and so I visited Dave Moss for a quick chit chat. We decided to add two clicks of low compression in the rear. Unfortunately we went from one side of the bell curve to the other...

I got a good start from 5th, but was quickly sucked up by the 1000cc bikes. Going into 2 I notice on the right in front of me in 5th place in #725, Preston Kincaid. Preston makes great starts, but I did not want to be caught behind him. I know I am quicker than him, but between our lines not "meshing" and his power he is difficult for me to pass safely. I spend a couple laps poking my nose at him, trying to find an opening like a puppy on a slightly opened back door. You can seeme in his rearward facing camera here: http://www.youtube.com/user/prestonkincaid#p/a/u/1/jm_C3ML_eJQ . It is kind of shaky but you can get some good shots out of it.

Eventually, I am able to get a drive out of 8 which allows me to go by on the entrance of 9. I crack open the throttle and run away, hoping to catch up to Michael Cohen #930. Michael is fast and I know it. I am surprised I am able to run with him but already begin to plan how I will make a move, because he is quick everywhere and his r1 has some kick to it. Suddenly going into 11 one the last lap he continues straight. I don't know if he had a mechanical problem and was pulling in, engine died, or what but I suddenly found myself crossing the finish line in 4th

After the race I looked at my tire and it was trashed. As mentioned earlier we went to far to the other side of the bell curve and added to much compression, so I took it one click back in for Sunday, hoping to save what I could on the tire.

Finished 4th out 14, with a personal best of 1:48.1

750 Superbike Race
Link to on-board Video: http://contour.com/stories/afm-r3-may-7-8-2011-infineon-raceway-750-superbike

Never before have I been so awake and rested at 6:30am as I was on Sunday; it was rather strange. What else was weird was that I was flying solo on Sunday. Georgia had left Saturday night to go spend time with her family for mother's day, and as such I was alone in the pits. None of my friends nor family were able to make it out. I didn't say a word to a person all day, and by the end of the day I almost forgot how to speak.

My main focus this year is my Saturday races but this weekend I was really looking to improve against the big boys in the expert class as well. For this race I started out in 17th and got a good start, but everyone else around me got a great start.

Going into 2 I find a lot of people coming under me and not allowing me to squeeze down. Then suddenly under me comes Sam Richards #272, damn. I have a feeling that after Buttonwillow, Sam is always going to do what he can to stay ahead of me.
I am at the top left, seen with Sam Richard coming under me.
By turn 7 of the first lap I quickly found myself being shuffled back, and running off pace. I always hate the first race on Sunday, I always am running a little slow. I was fighting the rear a little from yesterday's thrashing. The suspension setting was better, and slowly smoothed out the wear and tear on the tire, but my level of traction was defiantly reduced. After coming into my groove, I spent the remainder of the race playing catch-up with Sam. Lap by lap, I was cutting away at him and on the last lap I found my self but a few turns short of being able to make a move on him. I found myself finishing a mere .251 seconds behind him. If I had one more lap, he would have been mine...

I found myself a beneficiary of some attrition up front and finished 3rd for the novices, 17th overall out of 30 with a best lap of 1:48.5

600 Superbike
Link to on-board Video: http://contour.com/stories/afm-r3-may-7-8-2011-infineon-raceway-600-superbike

The 600 race came after lunch, and I needed a nap. Normally the later afternoon races is when I am waking, but it seems as though this being wide awake earlier through me out of balance. The start was similar to the rest from that day. I started pretty good from the 21st position, and then get bullied around in turns 2 and 3. Lap 2 I begin my crusade and start picking people off. I find this race to be rather crowded and couldn't really get a good clean lap going, but I am having fun anyways :)

I eventually find myself coming up on the back of #918 Alexander Azar. Now, so far this year in every 600 superbike race Azar has beat me by one position with me right on his tail. In each one of these races I am moving faster but simply catch up to late. So when I came up to the back of him with another lap and a half to go, I knew I had enough time to get him. Then going into turn 5 I see the black flag, someone has wrecked and this race is over. We come to a stop at the red flag at turn 7 and I find myself once again one position back from Azar. If I had only one more lap...

Finished 4th for the novices, 19th overall out of 42, best time of 1:50.3
The wreck in turn 7 which caused the red flag

600 Superbike red flag

Formula 1
Link to on-board Video: http://contour.com/stories/afm-r3-may-7-8-2011-infineon-raceway-formula-1

Formula 1 was the last race of the weekend and I was burnt out. Fighting not only a worn rear tire but also terrible allergies made waiting for the 13th race of the day a terrible experience in patience. When they finally called us, I almost just wanted to go out there, go through the motions and get it over with. But once we rolled up to the line, the lightswitch flicked and I was ready to go.

I was gridded 17th, and after the typical "lets beat up on Dan" start I was coming out of turn two looking at the back side of none other than Sam Richards. I suddenly discovered my tire was no longer going to work with me and on turn 4 I felt a kick back and lack of traction form the rear which left me falling from the pack until I figure out how to ride around it. By the end of the first lap I had caught back up to the pack and became stuck behind #190 Dave Zavatson. I could tell I was quicker than him, but didn't want to push it going in on the brakes and take us both out. After a few laps of playing around I decide while coming out of the carousel I will try to pass in turn 9 on the brakes or out of 3 on the gas into the brakes on 4. Dave gets a little run on me coming out of 8, and rides a mid-track line, not really leaving me a safe spot to maneuver for a pass.

I back up a little, and begin to wind up for the inevitable - I WILL pass him in turn . Going into 3 I already know where he is going and I shoot a tight exit gas it up and give a nice exit wheelie while passing him, bring the front down just in time to bring it into 4 and run away.

I finish strong and simply ran what I could run with what I had left. I felt good and could see in the distance I was catching, I am always faster towards the end and find while others are fatiguing I am getting stronger. But this time I need a few more laps as Dave held me up for a little too long. If I only had a few more laps :)

I found out later in the day when getting ready to head home that I had finished in 1st place of the novices!!! Along with being  11th overall out of 28 with a best time of 1:49.7
My Formula 1 Top Novice trophy


Next month - No sitting on the edge ... jumping right into the sandbox at the high speed course of Thunderhill Raceway. Hopefully I can find a way to redo the piston rings on my bike, as they are soft and reducing what little power I already have.

2 comments:

  1. Great overview of the the race weekend! Almost felt like I was riding with you.

    Congratulations on your finishes, and the Trophy!

    ReplyDelete