Saturday, January 1, 2011

In the beginning there was moto...

After watching the final MotoGP race of 2008, I lean over to my girlfriend and say, "I am going to race before my 30th birthday". Eight months later, on my 29th birthday, I am sitting on the starting grid of my first race.




I have started this blog so that my friends and family that can't make it out to my races can follow me. I often have a hard time with my full schedule of work and school keeping everyone abreast with the latest of my racing news. I will also be starting a fancy-dancy facebook page ( anyone who knows me knows this is shocking news ) and a tweeter account so I can update you live on race weekend what is going on, along with some of the weird things which enter my brain sometimes.

To give those of you who aren't really up to speed with what is going on, let me give you a quick synopsis. (The end has a video you MUST watch)

I race in the AFM, which is the American Federation of Motorcyclists. It is the oldest racing club in the United States, and is considered the most competitive. World champions Eddie Lawson, Wayne Rainey, Kenny Roberts, are only a few of the greats who've raced with AFM.

In 2011, I will be racing as a novice racer; because although I have raced prior to this season, I did not race enough to get an expert license. However, I am fast enough to race in the expert races and will be getting as much race time as possible.

I race a 2004 Suzuki gsx-r 600cc with a stock powerplant (engine). It is considered very old to be competitive in racing. In racing, a bike which is more than 2 years old is giving up a lot on the newer bikes with more power, better suspensions, and improved chassis. I am paying my way through college to get my master's degree and that gets my money first. So for now, the bike I have will do.

I will be racing the bike in five classes:

Clubman Middleweight, this class allows bikes with engines up to 750cc in size (1000cc for twin cylinder bikes) and essentially all modifications are allowed. It is however, restricted to novice racers only.

Clubman Heavyweight, this class has no limits on engine size and essentially all modifications are allowed. It is also restricted to novice racers.

600 Superbike, this is an expert level class which allows 4 cylinder bikes to have up to 600cc of engine displacement, 3 cylinder bikes are limited to 675cc, and twin cylinder up to 750cc. Heavy modification is allowed.

750 Superbike, also an expert level class which allows 4 cylinder bikes to have up to 750cc of engine displacement, and 2 cylinder have no limit on engine size. Heavy modification is allowed.

Formula 1, formula classes allow for a unique blend of vehicles, including custom made race vehicles, home made vehicles, and vehicles not made for the US market - basically all modifications are allowed. Formula 1 allows two-stroke bikes up to 500cc, twin cylinder is limited to a 1000cc engine capacity, and four-stroke multi-cylinder bikes up to 750cc

Check out the 2010 AFM banquet video, made by 4theriders:


Want to come to a race? It is only $10 for a weekend pass! Let me know you're coming by and we'll make a space for you in our pits :)

AFM 2011 Schedule:
March 19-20 Buttonwillow
April 16-17 Infineon
May 7-8 Infineon
June 4-5 Thunderhill
July 9-10 Infineon
August 27-28 Thunderhill
October 1-2 Thunderhill

Stay tuned ...

No comments:

Post a Comment