Sunday, February 20, 2011

Backing it in

Getting ready for the upcoming season and still haven't ridden since September 2010 :( I have a trackday coming up, but it is likely to rain. What should I do?!?!!??

Go to SuperMoto school of course !!!


I have always preached in my kart racing schools, and moto coaching alike, "Speed is a by-product of control, control does not come from speed -  anyone can open the throttle"

I figure the slipping and sliding on a supermoto bike will help me gain greater levels of control for my road racing. Plus, as my girlfriend likes to point out, I will probably end up racing supermoto down the line too, because I have a competition addiction.



I have never ridden a supermoto bike, and have only been on a dirt bike when I was a kid. This is a whole new world for me. For those of you not knowing what supermoto is, let me explain it. Supermoto is basically racing a dirtbike with road racing tires, on race tracks which contain both dirt and asphalt at the same time. It is famous for its "backin' it in" style, where riders will slide the rear tire around the bike while braking into a turn, in order to get the bike rotated and pointed in the right direction. By getting the bike pointed earlier, one can get on the gas earlier and hence be at a higher speed then they would have been otherwise. It was first introduced in the 70's as a sport TV show called "Superbikers". It did ok for a short period of time, and then faded off. Now it is back and bigger then ever.

Watch the video below. It features world Champion road racers Nicky Hayden and Max Biaggi racing supermoto in Florida.


So 8am tomorrow, I get on the road to have a one-on-one training session at the Stockton Motorplex in Stockton, CA with Brok McAllister. Brok is an accomplished road racer and supermoto veteran. I called a few friends in the moto industry and was able to score some gear for ridiculously cheap - like one night at dinner cheap. I have a new dirtbike helmet, goggles, an boots specific for this style of riding. I am excited to be doing something new. I always enjoy being challenged; I hope to learn a lot and have a lot of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment