Thursday, February 24, 2011

Bowling for Bikes

Lean out of the turn - Elbows up - Foot out - Sit Forward - Basically do everything backwards from what I learned road racing, that was the lesson of the day for me.

Showing up Monday morning at Stockton Motorplex I was tired, nervous and excited all at the same time. I sat outside the gates asking, "What am I getting myself into?"  The gates opened and I wondered my way into the parking lot, finding Brok's van and parked aside him. Brok and I took the opportunity of a desolate track to do a walk around. While walking around checking out the layout and surface conditions, Brok and I were able to talk about what we will be doing, and goals for the day. My goals for the day were simple, have fun and get comfortable sliding.



After the track walk, I return and begin to put on my gear. For this day ( and likely future Supermoto riding ) I made a few calls to some friends in the moto industry and got myself a new helmet, goggles, and boots. For those of you who haven't worn dirt boots, they are heavy and stiff as can be. It seems like it would take 5 years to break these things down. I had a feeling they would be a problem through the day trying to feel the shift and brake lever. After getting all geared up and ready to go, Brok took me over to the bike I would be starting on. Immediately my worries came true - I had no idea where my feet were on the bike. The seating position felt wrong, the bars were to high, everything just seemed wrong.



Brok started me out on a 230cc bike and told me to just go ride and warm up. Sure enough, without even thinking about it, I am out on the track knee out and riding like a sport bike. The difference is apparent when compared to Brok's son, Gage, comes flying up behind me.

After a very short period of time I was feeling quite comfortable with the 'backwards' style of riding. It still seems weird to me, even though I can feel it work. Riding Supermoto is kind of like being the kid in school who breaks every rule, just to break the rule. Everything a young rider is ever taught, keeping traction, don't drag your foot, lean into the turn, don't lock your rear tire - Supermoto spits in the face of the rules, and does things its own way. The Supermoto spirit screams out, "DON"T TELL ME WHAT TO DO!".

But just like any bad kid in school, it is an act. Supermoto is an act which displays recklessness and craziness. However, it is an art in balance and control. Once I got too far into the mindset of wild Supermoto guy, I went to far and didn't retain this balance. I quickly went from riding bikes, to bowling with bikes:

I got up brushed my self off, and went back out there. Brok said he was surprised how quickly I picked things up and wanted me to try his big bike, a 400cc Kawasaki. After about an hour of getting back into the groove of things post-wreck, I decided to try the big bike. WOW! The power was awesome, the larger frame was much easier for me to ride, as I didn't have to lift my leg nearly as high to clear the turn. Needless to say, I have a feeling i will be racing Supermoto as soon as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment